Monday, July 23, 2007

Parent Wonder (GUEST POST by Abel Cheng)

Hello Everyone. I'm very pleased to introduce my very first guest writer.

My first guest writer is Abel Cheng. He is the founder of Parent Wonder and a stay-at-home dad. How cool is that! Besides helping Abel to connect with other parents, the web site's aim is to help parents raise kids in the most enjoyable manner.

I am a frequent visitor and subscriber to his website and I always learn something new when I'm there. I hope you'll take a moment to read this very informative post and I think you'll agree with me, we can all LEARN from Children! Please feel free to link to this post! The more the merrier!

"What Children Can Teach Us about Life and Happiness: The Six Forgotten Lessons"

By Abel Cheng


Oftentimes, we always think that parents should set good examples for children to learn. Which, I think, is not always right.

Let’s reverse the roles for a moment, let your child become your teacher. I believe one of the reasons why we have children is they are here to teach us. We parents, for some reason, forget what we used to have as a child after we’ve grown up.

Partly maybe because of peer pressure or we simply get out of tune with ourselves due to busy schedule.

Whatever it is, what we forget is important for us to live a happy and fulfilling life. Here are the lessons we should learn from children, especially toddlers and preschoolers.


Live in the present:
Next time when your children play, observe how they play. They are totally engrossed in the activity! Nothing can distract them. They do it until they are bored or finish doing what they need to do. Very hardly that they jump around doing different things simultaneously. They enjoy every second to the fullest.

Do you rush through your day without having enjoyed it? Do you remember the taste of your lunch today? Be present and focus on your task at hand. Make the most out of every thing you do. Don’t multi-task especially when you talk to someone you care the most, pay 100% full attention to them.


No prejudice:
You don’t hear children say, “I am NOT going to play with you because you have a birthmark on your face.” Children make friends with everybody. Regardless of skin color, religion, health, or wealth. They treat everybody the same.

You should do the same too. Don’t prejudge people by the look or the differences they have. Treat people with equality and respect.


Simplicity:
My daughter once played with little wild flowers she plucked from the garden. She examined them like she had just stumbled upon a diamond the size of an ostrich egg. She arranged them in a cup anyway she could imagined. Who would have thought a bunch of wild flowers could do such wonders!

Whatever you give to children, they enjoy, treasure and live with it. They don’t ask for branded clothes. They don’t need expensive toys to make their day (unless you pamper them).

Do you have a to-do list that is getting longer and longer that you can’t seem to catch up? Do you feel restless and exhausted? Do you run around like a chicken without a head? It’s time to stop and smell the roses. Stop the clutter. Learn to say no and focus on the vital few. Live simply and enjoy the simplest things in life.


Forgive and forget:

If you make your child angry, chances are he will not hate you for more than one day. Moments later, he would come and play with you again, as if nothing has happened. Children are quick to forget and forgive, they don’t harbor negative feelings like hatred and anger for long.

Do you still hate your parents for what they did long time ago? Or your boyfriend who dumped you for another girl? Why don’t you learn from our children to forgive and forget, leave the emotional baggage behind and move forward. You feel good about yourself if you have a big heart.

Constant learning:
My toddler son seems to get excited by everything he sees, hears and touches. Nothing fails to amaze this little boy who soaks up everything and learns like a sponge. Curiosity makes children want to know how things around them work: why water looks like water, why fire burns and why flowers grow.

To live is to learn. When was the last time you learned something new? Learning new things gives you excitement and satisfaction. You can pick up a new language, learn to play guitar, go to a new place or simply read a new book today.

Playfulness:

To children, everything is game. They can make the most mundane of things as exciting as new toys. Young children never say, “Mom, I’m bored and will you put some excitement into my life please.”

As we grow up, we tend to forget to play and we get too serious about ourselves. The essence is to have a playful mind and make things fun even though you’re doing some thing mundane like washing dishes or mowing the lawn. Lighten up and rediscover the child within you.

Thank you again Abel for a thought provoking article!

You can read Abel Cheng’s other articles on parenting at Parent Wonder

Please be sure and tell your friends about Parent Wonder!

Question: What are your thoughts on this post?

12 comments:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

Wow, I am very taken back after reading this. I can see how we need to learn from our children. The way they can get over things so easily is something I need to apply to my life. I think I am too much of a teacher and need to become more of a "student" and let my children show me things in a very simple way. Excellent post! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. I don’t know if you’re familiar with Maya & Miguel, a show on PBS in the afternoons -- http://pbskidsgo.org/mayaandmiguel -- that emphasizes cultural diversity and language learning but I’m reaching out to talk to parents about the program as part of a marketing project I’m working on with Scholastic.

I found your post and thought I’d reach out to say hello and ask if you’d like to receive a free Maya & Miguel DVD. If you’d like to receive the DVD just email me at mark@boldmouth.com with your address and I’ll have it shipped it out to you.

If you do choose to blog about Maya & Miguel show or episodes on the DVD, please make it clear how you received the information. Our goal is to be open and honest with everyone we reach.

CreoleInDC said...

Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Kids really can teach us so many things.

By the way, Tanyetta, I received my book in the mail today!! THANK YOU! Can't wait to dig in!

Jane, P&B Girls

Anonymous said...

I agree children definately teach adults to see what really matters most. I love how children can have fun doing the most simple things, I get a kick out of mowing the lawn here, my neighbor this 5 year old sits on his swing set & waves everytime I turn the lawn mower around and it cracks me up! By the time I am finished mowing the lawn our cheeks hurt from laughing so much, from waving back & forth :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great comments, folks. I'm glad you guys like the post! Another thing I like about kids is they teach us to slow down in this fast moving world.

A.Parent said...

Hi, It's a great post!

I have a toddler too and everyday i see how much there is to learn from her! It's like God revision lesson for me! They (kids) are so innocent and pure in all they do (until the world corrupts them) All adults really should take a step back and stop thinking what a know-it-all we are and learn from the little ones!.

Thank you for this post. it really is great. can i link u?

Anonymous said...

This is a really great post! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Anonymous said...

Amazing, i'm wondering sometimes such simple things don't strike in our mind. so many things we can learn from children.

Anonymous said...

Mark Steidler: Sorry, I have to ask. Are you talking to Tanyetta or me?

vea: I don't think Tanyetta would mind. Just link to the post. Thanks.

*Tanyetta* said...

Great Post!!!

Everyone's welcome to LINK to this or anything else you've seen on my blog. I LOVE to share information!!!

Anonymous said...

Great Article Abel!

It has always been my belief that we can learn something from everyone even a child. ;-).

I can get a parcel from UPS and my youngest who is 5 will ask for the box. When his daddy gets home he'll say "DADDY, MOMMY GOT US THIS COOL BOX WANNA SEE IT?" It makes me ROFL every time. He reminds me to cherish the simple things in life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails