Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Parent Participation Preschool

We've been going to a parent participation event this past month. I didn't mention much about it because I've been trying to give it a chance. The first day of 'class' was quite interesting. The program age group: 3-5 years old.

Here's my dear sweet son during the: Time to learn our ABC's.


Yup, you heard me.
A topic that my son has mastered a long time ago. Hey, I signed him up to be around other kids, you know to get the social aspect of it all. See how much he's into the class? I had NO idea there are 5 year olds in this world who don't know their ABC's. I had NO idea.

Once your child turns 3, there's a standard test they give to chart where each child is on an individual basis. Topics covered: Being able to recognize-Colors, Letter and Numbers (out of sequence), shapes, animals, rhyming words. My son received 37 out of 40 answers correctly. He missed the #1 and called it a number seven. Because it had the little thing at the top of it and it looked like a 7 to him.

The second one, he called the color green, brown. Yes, you read that correctly. My 3 year old son said the color green was brown. Then when the teacher moved on to the next color, he giggled and said the color was brown. Ummmmmmmmmmm!!!!!! DJ now is not the time to joke around. *sigh*
The 3rd was a rhyming sequence. Mouse rhymes with: Cat, House or Dog. My dear sweet son said, Dog.

The teacher said DJ was a smart cookie and I don't have anything to worry about. He will definitely succeed in Preschool. Well, that's a relief, I mean really can you fail out of preschool? I hope not. Well, if he keeps going around calling number ones-7 and mouse rhyming with dog then, yes my friends, my son is on a slippery slope! Just kidding! He's just fine!

He has a fascination with High School and he always talks about going to 'school' and I thought this would be a really nice session to attend. It's held at our local Elementary School and DJ loves to see the 'big' kids.

He always says, "when I get older........" then he's off on his dreams of when he gets older. His dreams are quite fascinating I might add. It always has something to do with him playing in a rock band.

Lately, he has a fascination with this bright lime green key chain. He insists on bringing it with him. Notice there aren't any keys on it.


Here's his new friend Emma. She is too cute! Check out the pose!


His favorite part:


Well, all in all, this was a very nice session. The next one begins in January. I'll keep you posted on what I've decided. As long as there are some friends to be made, arts and crafts, songs, story time and snacks, then my son will be super happy! He can get past being bored over the ABC part. Preschool is so much more than that!


Question: Are your kids currently attending preschool? What age did they start going? What advice do you have for helping your child make the transition from being home with mommy all day to attending preschool a few days a week?

7 comments:

Believer said...

He's doing flips while the others are learning because that boy is bored. ;) He needs a gifted preschool class where they can challenge him.

Anonymous said...

The flip was too funny! My little one started daycare/preschool when he was 2. The transition was harder on mommy than him. He was having a ball while I was crying! Text to Display

Anonymous said...

**looking around** um, no kiddies here, but I agree with Rosemarie. For learning, he needs something a little more stimulating. If you are in it strictly for peer interaction, then keep going.

Afrodite said...

No kids but DJ in that newsboy/Kangol hat is too cute. I didn't know they made them that small.

Anisah said...

I saw your comment on another blog. I grew up SDA too, going to the grade schools and Academies. None of my family go anymore though. Then I was Muslim for 14 years. Now I'm not really anything lol. Quite an interesting trip lol. Are you still SDA, if you don't mind me asking?

Hugs!

Anisah

Anisah said...

I forgot to mention my son who's in afternoon preschool lol. He's 4 1/2, and kinda small for his age. I worked with him on letters on my own before he started preschool this year. He really likes it. The structure and learning social skills are good for him, as he hadn't been in a real daycare before. Just with a neighbor sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Todo dinŠ±mica y muy positiva! :)

[url=http://www.affhtf.com/]Boldy[/url]

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails